PROVERBS 2010

We all want to be wise, we all look for wisdom. In my search for answers I turned to the book of Proverbs hoping to find answers to my questions. Thankfully I had reached the right place.
Be it decision making, work, money, marriage, faith... the book of Proverbs is a treasure trove of wisdom. These are my reflections on Proverbs.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Proverbs 3: 1to 4- Do not Forget

Proverbs 3: 1to 4

1 My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart,

2 for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity.

3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.

4 Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man. (NIV)


Forgetting is both a blessing and a curse to us. On one hand, it helps you let go of all the bad that stuff that has happened in your life, it makes it easier for you to forgive people who hurt you, let go of grudges, overcome embarrassing moments and helps you enjoy simple pleasures of life without thinking of the past. Then on the other hand, if anyone would curse forgetfulness, it’s me! I sometimes crown myself the queen of forgetfulness. Leaving things behind like my purse or bags, forgetting my friend’s birthdays, important tasks, paying my bills on time, the list is endless. I constantly have to set reminders on my phone and inspite of that, I still forget things. I have to remind myself to set reminders and then forget to do it.


It’s so easy for me to forget what I read in my morning devotion. I start off the day resolving to keep in heart all the things that I've read, but then too often, when I look back at the events of the day I feel like I am like the person in James, “like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.” (James 1: 23, 24)


Some times the Lord takes us through circumstances that make us not just remember his word for a few hours or minutes rather we find that his word comes through so clearly that the words get etched in our hearts and minds, such that we can never forget it. At other times though it is best to stay alert and keep God's word close by lest we get lost in the hustle and bustle of everyday life and lose sight of what is really important. It takes a conscious amount of time and effort to remember it's not something that is going to come automatically.


Oh that I may bind the word of God around my neck and heart.

No comments :

Post a Comment