PROVERBS 2010

We all want to be wise, we all look for wisdom. In my search for answers I turned to the book of Proverbs hoping to find answers to my questions. Thankfully I had reached the right place.
Be it decision making, work, money, marriage, faith... the book of Proverbs is a treasure trove of wisdom. These are my reflections on Proverbs.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Proverbs 2:16 Silky, Seductive words

12 Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse,

13 who leave the straight paths to walk in dark ways,

14 who delight in doing wrong and rejoice in the perverseness of evil,

15 whose paths are crooked and who are devious in their ways.

16 It will save you also from the adulteress, from the wayward wife with her seductive words,

17 who has left the partner of her youth and ignored the covenant she made before God. [a]

18 For her house leads down to death and her paths to the spirits of the dead.

19 None who go to her return or attain the paths of life.

20 Thus you will walk in the ways of good men and keep to the paths of the righteous.

21 For the upright will live in the land, and the blameless will remain in it;

22 but the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the unfaithful will be torn from it.


Men whose words are perverse, Women with seductive words. Men whose paths are crooked, houses with lead to death and paths that lead to the spirits of the dead.


Once again, a warning to stay away from men who plot wicked schemes. There is no shortage of men and women out there waiting to pull us into schemes and scams. All I have to do is read the newspaper each day to see the wicked and evil things people come up with everyday. I may never know when someone somewhere will try and get me. It’s clear that the Lord does not want us to be simpletons who are gullible enough to believe anything that people tell us. That is why, Knowledge too, is so important along with wisdom. The next time someone tries to talk you into doing something, it’s always good to first check whether, what you are getting into is right or wrong. I truly can’t say God didn’t warn me after I get duped.

Verse 16 is the first of many warnings against adultery in Proverbs. Here it warns us against seductive words; Words which sound so sweet and tempting. Very few people in the world are immune to flattery. I know I am not. If we live in a world where marriage vows no longer have any value, a world where promises are made only to be broken, why then should we trust the sweet words of a person who is not your partner; only to find heartbreak and a broken home? Our instincts may prove us wrong many times when it comes to trusting people. I can’t comment further on this topic since I am not married, however, no temptation is easy to overcome and it’s better to be on guard and forewarned by taking this to heart.

No comments :

Post a Comment