PROVERBS 2010

We all want to be wise, we all look for wisdom. In my search for answers I turned to the book of Proverbs hoping to find answers to my questions. Thankfully I had reached the right place.
Be it decision making, work, money, marriage, faith... the book of Proverbs is a treasure trove of wisdom. These are my reflections on Proverbs.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Proverbs 2- Steps to wisdom simplified

Proverbs 2: 1 to 11
1 My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, 2 turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, 3 and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, 4 and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, 5 then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. 6 For the LORD gives wisdom, and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. 7 He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, 8 for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones. 9 Then you will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path. 10 for wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. 11 Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.

The first 4 verses in proverbs 2 give us a few things we need to do to get wisdom.
1) Accept my words and store up my commands: “Store up my commands” that sounds pretty much like what you would do if you were writing a computer program. God wants us to store his commands for ‘us’ his programs to function effectively. We need to click OK and accept his words 2) Tune your ear and apply your heart
3) Call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding: What better thing to do when faced with a difficult situation. The Lord promises to hear our cry and answer it when we call on him.
4) Look for it: Nothing comes easy. Think of it as a treasure hunt. We already have the map, but we still have to look for it.

Verses 7, 8 and 9, give us a few characteristics that a person ought to be; Upright, blameless, just and faithful if we have these “Then you will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path” . This is something that I have found extremely hard to follow. If the Lord were not forgiving, gracious and understanding, it would be impossible to become any of these things with my own effort.

No comments :

Post a Comment