PROVERBS 2010

We all want to be wise, we all look for wisdom. In my search for answers I turned to the book of Proverbs hoping to find answers to my questions. Thankfully I had reached the right place.
Be it decision making, work, money, marriage, faith... the book of Proverbs is a treasure trove of wisdom. These are my reflections on Proverbs.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Proverbs 3: 5 to 8 - A question of trust

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;

6 in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.

8 This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bone


I’ve been listening to these verses since the time I was a little girl. I must admit that it was easier to trust in the Lord, back when I was a little kid compared to now. Actually, trusting in the Lord is the easy part. When it comes to the part about not leaning on your own understanding... well that’s the part I find the toughest. It’s so easy for me to rush into things and do things in my own understanding and wisdom. This whole task of reading proverbs every day is just to remind me not to lean on my own understanding.

It’s so easy to get carried away with emotion or worldly wisdom or just plain thoughtlessness. I’ve always been wise in my own eyes. It’s only when I realised my own shortcomings and foolishness that I came to appreciate God’s wisdom and Love.

Sometimes I face situations which I cannot understand, I can’t seem to comprehend why things turn out the way it does or why nothing seems to work out as planned. That is the time when giving control to God is the toughest task to do. At these times I’ve learnt that I just have to give up fighting for control over my life and let the Lord take over. It’s still not easy, but maybe one day I’ll get there.

No comments :

Post a Comment