PROVERBS 2010

We all want to be wise, we all look for wisdom. In my search for answers I turned to the book of Proverbs hoping to find answers to my questions. Thankfully I had reached the right place.
Be it decision making, work, money, marriage, faith... the book of Proverbs is a treasure trove of wisdom. These are my reflections on Proverbs.

Monday, May 24, 2010

Proverbs 4: 1 to 9 - Wisdom is Supreme

1 Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction;
pay attention and gain understanding.

2 I give you sound learning,
so do not forsake my teaching.

3 When I was a boy in my father's house,
still tender, and an only child of my mother,

4 he taught me and said,
"Lay hold of my words with all your heart;
keep my commands and you will live.

5 Get wisdom, get understanding;
do not forget my words or swerve from them.

6 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
love her, and she will watch over you.

7 Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom.
Though it cost all you have, get understanding.

8 Esteem her, and she will exalt you;
embrace her, and she will honor you.

9 She will set a garland of grace on your head
and present you with a crown of splendor."


A father's plea to his son to get wisdom. Wisdom is always portrayed as a woman in the book of Proverbs. This woman is in stark contrast to the foolish woman and the adulterous woman who we are constantly warned to beware of.

Firstly who is this lady called Wisdom? The New Testament reveals to us that 'Wisdom' is none other than the Lord Jesus Christ himself ( Read: 1 Cor 1:24, Colossians 2:3, 1 Cor 1:30). So now how can Wisdom be a woman? The answer is that in both Hebrew and Greek the noun wisdom is feminine (Much like our Indian languages where there may not be a neutral gender.)

These verses urge us to get hold of wisdom though it cost us all we have. Are you truly seeking for wisdom, then go to the one person who is wisdom. Wisdom not of man but of God.

Ref: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+4&version=NIV ; 'Be Wise' by William MacDonald.


No comments :

Post a Comment